An Area of Oustanding Natural Beauty in the Sussex Weald
A community website serving residents and visitors in the three villages of
Burwash, Burwash Common and Burwash Weald
St  Bartholomew’s, Burwash

St Bartholomew’s, Burwash

Located at the eastern end of the High Street, Burwash.

Rector: Revd Stephen France
Tel: 01435 882301
Email: revfrance@tiscali.co.uk

St. Bartholomew’s is a central inclusive church in the Diocese of Chichester where worship has taken place for nearly one thousand years.

Our service pattern:

Time 1st Sunday 2nd Sunday 3rd Sunday 4th Sunday 5th Sunday
8am Holy Communion - BCP Holy Communion - BCP Holy Communion - BCP Holy Communion - BCP Holy Communion - BCP
10am Family Service Matins – BCP Family Communion Parish Communion Parish Communion
6pm Evensong - BCP        
BCP = Book of Common Prayer

The church is open every day from 9am-5pm for private prayer and visits. A guide book is available in the church priced £2.50.

Burwash Church- a brief history

The first record of a church in Burwash shows a stone church built in about 1090, consisting of chancel, nave and tower. Of this Norman church only the tower remains. Later, owing presumably to the increase in the population of the village, a larger church became necessary.

To achieve this the nave was widened by knocking down the outer walls and adding aisles supported by pillars, on the south side in about 1190, on the north side in 1250. As part of the work in 1250 a larger chancel replaced the original. In the 14th century both aisles were widened, buttresses added to the south west corner of the tower and new windows put into the aisles. A porch was added to the west door and a vestry built in the north east corner.

At some point dormer windows were added to the roof but apart from this the church then remained unaltered for 500 years until the 19th century.

The church was partially rebuilt and extensively restored in 1856. This work included the lowering of the floor and this in turn necessitated the removal of a considerable depth of earth from the surrounding churchyard. The flooring of the church was again renewed owing to the considerable rotting of the old flooring, in the years 1989 to 1990.

Features of Note

The Tower

Only the tower remains of the original Norman church with evidence of its origin being discernable by the great width of the mortar in which the stones are bedded and which can be seen from the outside. The tower houses the eight bells

Iron Memorials

Iron Memorials

On the wall to the left of the Lady Chapel altar is a cast-iron sepulchral slab of especial interest. Before it was placed here it lay on the floor, marking the last resting place of John Collins, a member of the family of the ironmaster of that name who owned a forge at Socknersh, between Burwash and Brightling. Of 14th century origin it is said to be the oldest existing example of a Sussex cast-iron grave slab.

Memorial to John Kipling

Memorial to John Kipling (Rudyard’s son – killed in action.)

On the wall between the Sawyer window and the south door is an oval bronze plaque commemorating the death in action of the beloved only son of Rudyard Kipling, the celebrated writer of prose and verse who lived at Bateman’s for many years. The plaque is the first commercial work of Charles Wheeler who was later to become President of The Royal Academy of Arts.

The Font

The Font

The octagonal font probably dates from the late 16th century, and has the Pelham Buckle carved on it-a reminder of the association of the Pelham family and Burwash. Edward III bestowed this crest on John de Pelham at the battle of Poitiers in 1356 after he had seized the French king, John, by the buckle of his sword belt - whereupon the king surrendered his sword.


Churchyard and Memorials

We have attached a copy the plan of St. Bartholomew's graveyard and details of memorials. Please note the Memorials file is extensive.

Burwash Churchyard Plan (pdf file)

Memorials A-Z in Burwash Churchyard (pdf file)



|skip to navigation |skip to page content|